Sunday, October 28, 2012

My Running Journey is Constantly Evolving........10.28.12

"The secret to happiness is not in doing what one likes but in liking what one has to do."~ Sir James Barrie
My running journey is constantly evolving and I relish having the freedom to meet life on my own terms.  I accomplish this by showing up for life on a daily basis and being actively involved with my family and community. You see, I am trying to defy the aging process and avoid a midlife crisis at all costs.  So I set goals that challenge and motivate me.
My next quest is to run 12 half marathons and 12 marathons in 12 months (9.12 to 9.13) in Western Washington.  I've been a Marathon Maniac for 2 years and wasn't a Half Fanatic so why not become a Fanatic also?????    When I started racing in 2004, half marathons were my sweet distance.
I woke up yesterday at 0500 to the sound of rain and thought "Omg you're kidding me right!!"  But having lived in Western Washington for the past 30 years, I didn't need a weather forcaster  to tell me that it was going to be a rainy and blustery kind of day all day.  Never mind that I had a half marathon at 1100 and a 5 miler at 1800.  I secretly hoped that the rain would let up just a tad as the morning progressed.
No such luck, cause at 0700 it was still raining like cats and dogs.
10. 20.12 Tacoma Triangle 1/2 started at Point Defiance Zoo and wound thru the city and the waterfront.  A group of us got lost because we couldn't clearly distinguish the route markings on the road, read a map or follow the directions on a smart phone.  But we stuck it out together to the finish line and ended with 14.16- but hey. I had some extra miles to do afterwards anyway.  An added bonus was getting a chance to meet some really great and dedicated runners.  And Monte a fellow runner I'd just met that day stayed after with me to run an additional 7 miles to make it a 20 miler- how cool was that????

10.27.12  Lacey Halloween Foot Races was an out and back course that started at Horizon Elementary School in Lacey and ran along a super busy two lane highway.  It was a dangerous running route because for the first part of the race we were running with the traffic and coming back the shoulder had to be shared with runners that were coming back.  There weren't any road marshals and the race was light on volunteers.  We  pretty much had to fend for ourselves.  I had registered for this race at the very last minute because I'd emailed the director twice and left a phone message and did not get a response.  Things that make you go hmmmmmm!  But on a seriously brighter note- I got my mojo back (maybe it was the rain and being soaked to the core) with this race.  I typically run a 2:30 13.1 and I rocked this one with a 2:22 finish time AND got first place in my age group, sweet freakin' deal!  I grabbed the first place ribbon and shouted with joy!
People run for different reasons.  I run for a sense of accomplishment/ achievement.......and now to operate as  a double agent- a Half Fanatic and a Marathon Maniac.

10.27.12 Black Cat Fun 5 Mile Run was just that..... fun!  Tacoma Metro Parks did a bangup job on organizing this race and the shirts are super cool and comfy- wearing mine today!!  It literally poured the whole time but it was so much fun to see families working out together and the creative costumes.  Diane- who'd biked 50 miles and swam earlier  and I ran this together and chitted and chatted like there was no tomorrow.  Fun times for sure.


Sporty Diva's Half Marathon, 15k, 10k and 5k Walk/Run at Green Lake on 12.30.12

Sporty Diva Walk~Run Events are designed to encourage, motivate and inspire the first time athlete and or people who are returning to fitness in a fun, friendly and supportive~non-competitive race environment with a philanthropic/ pay it forward mission.

The proceeds from this event will be used to purchase art supplies for an after school art program in memory of Rob Meline.  Mr. Meline was a sixth grade teacher at Camas Prarie Elementary School in Spanaway and will be dearly missed by students, faculty and parents.

Registration will be available beginning 11.1.12   thru    RunSignUp.    and  Active.com    35.00



Running 4 Our Lives is a collaborative effort between 3 running divas and is now offering one day retreats in Seattle, Bellingham and Tacoma.  Women will be provided with the opportunity to rejuvenate their energy, renew their dreams and recommit to goals gone by the wayside in the busyness of life.Followed by a Running 4 Our Lives 5k/10k Running Event the next morning.  Stay tuned- more details will be coming soon.


Carol Frazey-President of Fit School for Women  
Cami Ostman- Director of Second Wind Coaching
Rosie Rose Coates- Founder of Sporty Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment