Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bellingham Bay Marathon 9.30.12



"If you're going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. When you were younger the mind could make you dance all night, and the body was never tired.  You've always got to make the mind take over and keep going." - George S. Patton, U.S.Army General & 1912 Olympian


Whootaaayyy Whootaaayy~I ran the Bellingham Bay  last Sunday and had the most amazing time.
This marathon is the first of 12 that I will be doing this year..... from 9.12 to 9.13.

The Bellingham Bay Marathon, Half Marathon & 5K is a group of races designed by runners for runners and walkers and was founded in 2003 by the Bellingham Bay Swim Team. 100% of net proceeds benefit non-profit Whatcom County youth organizations



First off, let me share with you how I got to the starting line.

I absolutely love reading inspirational books and I read Second Wind by Cami Ostman  in January 2011.  After reading Second Wind, I felt as though she could have been a friend from childhood or  my next door neighbor! 

Cami was a Health Hero Profile on Sporty Diva's  blog this past summer and I asked her if there were any runs in her neck of the woods and she mentioned Bellingham Bay Marathon.  The next thing I knew, I signed up for the race.
Well, Cami invited me to stay with her and her husband- Bill while I was in town.  She was a wonderful, warm, kind and gracious  host.  Cami, made a great pre-race dinner (pasta, salad, bread) yummmm~~~and invited friends.  Thanks Carol for zeee cookies!

Julie, Carol, Rosie and Cami


Race day morning- we chitted and chatted over coffee and headed to the start line.  Excitement, enthusiasm and encouragement filled the air.   

The course was beautiful, scenic and enjoyable. It was a well organized and community supported event.  The crowd support was engaging and off the charts.  I didn't have time to even think about being tired because I was so busy smiling! I plan on returning next year with a group of running pals.

Bill is the man and a total rock star....he qualified for Boston......yahoooo!!!! Thank you so mucho Bill and Cami for everything xoxo.

I vividly remember 11 years ago when I started running on a treadmill and I used to look around at other people running and wish that I could run like them one day 5.0...5.5.....6.0 etc. mph.....I thank God everyday that I didn't stay on the treadmill and that I ventured out the door and started running races.  It was all about getting in motion and staying in motion.

One of my rules in life is to do what brings me joy and to stay in the game of life.  I'm doing that by
going the distance and believing in myself and others.  And I choose not to lose sight of my aspirations, because I have the power to change my life and you have the power to change yours.
Peace, love and hair grease~















2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I do agree that the crowd support was motivating. Maybe I'll try the 5K again next year:) It was also a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Gordon, congratulations on rocking your race and it was an amazingly beautiful day! See you there next year xoxo

    ReplyDelete