Monday, October 22, 2012

Health Hero Profile 10.22.12.................Small Changes Today for a Healthier Tomorrow~Carol Frazey

What is your age and where are you from?
I am 43 and live in Bellingham , WA


What was your beginning weight? 
I have always weighed in the 130-139 pound range. When I was pregnant with my first child, I gained 42 pounds and gained 64 pounds with my second! I have always been a runner and have always eaten like a runner. This did not subside when I was no longer running during my pregnancies, so I gained a lot of weight.


What is your current weight and how long have you maintained it?
I currently weigh 138 pounds and have for the past 10 years.



How'd you lose your weight?
When I had my children, I nursed them for a year. I decided to give myself 2 years to take the baby weight completely off. Giving myself this large timeline made it seem doable. I gradually got back into running by combining running on land with running in the pool. This allowed my joints to recover quickly between each run. Also, during my time running, I would pick up my pace on the uphills and walk or shuffle slowly down hills. This kept pounding to a minimum.

Carol is going to be in Women's Day Magazine (January 2013  issue) !!!

Did you share your plans with other people?
How did your family, friends and co-workers influence and support you? My husband is a runner, so he understands how important running is for my physical and mental health. He also sees the difference in my mood when I come home from a run! So, he was very supportive to give me time each day to get a run in (it kept my crabbiness to a minimum!).
I also have a best friend who is also my running partner. She is the one who drug me to the pool at 5am 2-weeks after my C-section. We are lucky that we run the same pace and push each other to work harder and get in better shape. It’s also a multi-tasking social run for us to catch up with each other’s lives and leave our problems and challenges on the trail.



What were some of the challenges that you experienced on your weight loss journey?
I had 2 wonderful, healthy children 2 years apart. I really had to make exercise my second life priority after my family. This meant planning my exercise like an appointment every day.

What are some moments-accomplishments that you are most proud of ?
 I am first most proud of my family. I love the life we live. Second, I am so proud of my clients. Many of them have met weight loss challenges, health problems, and personal issues that would make someone want to lie in bed for days crying. These women get out there and push themselves each day to become better. They are my heroes!


What are your ultimate "must haves"///favorites: foods, fitness routines, music and training gear?
I feel that I “must” run at least 5 times per week to feel mentally okay. I am what my running partner calls a “purist”….no gadgets (sometimes a watch) or fancy running gear, just a job bra, shirt, shorts, performance socks, and shoes. I like to keep things simple. 
As far as foods, I make sure that I eat at least 3 fruits and 4 vegetables every day. I also get my daily taste of coffee and chocolate.


Eating a balanced diet and exercise go hand in hand for permanent weight loss. What do you do for fitness-to stay in shape?
I run 5 – 6 days per week. Like I said above, I eat at least 3 fruits and 4 vegetables per day. I make sure I eat these before allowing myself to indulge in my chocolate fix.


What motivates you to stick with your healthy lifestyle? One exercise that I have each client do is write down five personal reasons why she wants to live a fit and healthy lifestyle. For example, my reasons include: someday being able to hike with my grandchildren in the Alps, to be able to travel and hike around the world, and to reverse my family genetic disposition for heart disease, high blood pressure, and obesity. I then have each person put this list on her nightstand, bathroom mirror, and computer. The list will then help her get out of bed when the alarm goes off at 5 a.m. for her morning walk or helps her refocus when she is tired after a long day in the office. I know that my list keeps me focused on living a long, quality life.


Do you have any positive quotes you'd like to share? :
“Do, or do not. There is no try” – Yoda


What words of advice can you give to someone who is struggling to lose weight and exercise?
One of my favorite books is (other than Cami Ostman ’s Second Wind !) Jeff Olson’s The Slight Edge . Olson talks about how taking little, positive steps each day add up to a wonderful life. As for words of advice, I always use the Fit School tagline of “small changes today for a healthier tomorrow”.


What are your best life lessons and the keys to your success?
I am constantly listening to positive, motivational CDs or Ted talks ( www .Ted.com ). I truly believe Brian Tracy’s quote, “Whatever you think and talk about most of the time eventually comes into your life.” This is why I work to stay positive and focus on a fun life.

And lastly, do you have any short term (3 months or less) and long term goals?
In the next 3 months, I am adding more virtual programs for my clients. I am working on product that will combine support, nutrition and exercise education, and fun. For long term goals, I want to continue helping to reduce childhood obesity and increasing the empowerment of women to love and take care for their bodies. Also, I want to run for at least another 50 years!



Fit School

Fit School, Inc. provides research-based nutrition and exercise information to families, school, and businesses throughout the world. Our mission is to educate and motivate individuals to make small changes each day to live healthier lives….and to have fun while doing it!
Connect with Fit School on Facebook




4 comments:

  1. What a motivating person. Thanks for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gordon I abolutely agree, thanks for reading. Carol is an awesome person, parent, athlete, trainer and friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gordon! Thank too , Sporty Diva - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, thank you too.........looking for the space :D

    ReplyDelete