Monday, July 9, 2012

Health Hero Profile 7.9.12......Dan Herman

What is your age and where are you from?
I am 39 years old from Allentown, Pennsylvania.



What was your beginning weight?

355 lbs



What is your current weight and how long have you maintained it?

230 lbs. for about 5 years


What made you want to lose weight and exercise; was there something specific that happened or was it a combination of things?
I was essentially unable to move, unable to live.  The thought of walking up a flight of stairs was frightening.  I would go to work, come home, and lie down from exhaustion and the pain in my low back from my degenerative back condition.

What diets, supplements, and fitness programs have you tried in the past?

My doctors tried to give me pills, some approved by the FDA, some not. I tried every fad and diet there was.  Nothing worked long term.

How'd you lose your weight?

Weight management, journaling my food intake and my exercise. Journaling is the way to hold yourself accountable.

Did you share your plans with other people? How did your family, friends and co-workers influence and support you?

My family and friends were very supportive of my goals to live a healthier lifestyle.


What were some of the challenges that you experienced on your weight loss
journey?

When I started running about 8 years ago, at my heaviest weight, it seems I had trouble with some folks seeing me as a real runner.  I wanted to put the effort in and do the work. That is what made all the difference for me.

If you have dieted in the past and regained the weight, what did you do
differently this time?

I am nowhere near perfect with my nutrition. I have flaws just like anyone else. But I hold myself accountable and yet still allow myself to love. The idea of a diet rarely enters my mind anymore. Now, it is simply all about fueling myself the best way possible.

In what ways has your life changed?

I am able to run 5 miles, at a minimum, most days. There is a world of opportunity for me out there right now, all with a few simple changes.

What are some moments-accomplishments that you are most proud of?

I am a 4-time marathoner. That, to me, is the ultimate in terms of individual accomplishments. Over the past 4 years, I have been able to help coach beginning runners through out local Fleet Feet Sports's No Boundaries program.

What are your ultimate "must haves"///favorites: foods, fitness routines,
music and training gear?

Other than my running shoes and my Garmin, I need little else in terms of gear.  My favorite snack is an apple with almond butter. Great tasting and good for you!

Eating a balanced diet and exercise go hand in hand for permanent weight loss. What do you do for fitness-to stay in shape?

I run 4 days every week, spinning classes, and at least two days of core resistance work.  Balance is the key. I do not want to see myself as solely a runner, but as an athlete.

What motivates you to stick with your healthy lifestyle?

Seeing my before pictures.. I know I never want to be that way again.
Do you have any positive quotes you'd like to share?
If you are not progressing, you are regressing.

What words of advice can you give to someone who is struggling to lose
weight and exercise?

Be patient with yourself. Be true to your goals, your desires, but be reasonable.
What are your best life lessons and the keys to your success? You are only
given one body. Do your best with it.


And lastly, do you have any short term (3 months or less) and long term
goals?

Hoping to finally get down to my goal weight of 200 lbs, then, take
another shot at a marathon in 2013 with a goal of setting a personal best at
that distance.

____________________________
Rosie's Note:  Dan's story of success is truly inspiring because not only does he knows what works for him but he is also taking the time to work with and inspire others thru Fleet Feet Sports's No Boundaries program.  When we help others, we often end up helping ourselves.  Thank you so much Dan for sharing your story and best wishes as you go forward and set your new marathon record, RR.

No comments:

Post a Comment