Monday, July 16, 2012

Health Hero Profile 7.16.12.....I am READY to make a commitment and stick with it! Michele Maple


What is your age and where are you from?
I am currently 40 and I originally hail from San Antonio, TX (but currently reside in the gorgeous state of Washington with my wonderful military hubby)


What was your beginning weight?
My current weight is around 135ish, but it fluctuates.


What is your current weight and how long have you maintained it?
135ish (I know that may not seem like an issue to some people, but I know that it isn’t right for me. I am not as healthy as I feel like I should be. I don’t compare myself to others and I know that in my current state, it just feels like I need to be healthier.


What made you want to lose weight and exercise; was there something specific that happened or was it a combination of things?
I, like many others battle with self-esteem issues and like many others I turn to food for comfort. I sporadically work out, but never stick with it and go back to my old ways. I want to stop the cycle.


What diets, supplements, and fitness programs have you tried in the past?
Not so much ‘diets’, but I am not consistent with ANY fitness program. I can’t seem to stay focused and I am easily distracted or become bored or LAZY.


How'd you lose your weight?
When my husband was overseas a few years ago, my girlfriend and I went on a fitness kick, we stuck with it until our husbands returned and then she had kids – it was wonderful to have someone to work out with and to be accountable, it helped me stick with it (for a while).



Did you share your plans with other people?  How did your family, friends and co-workers influence and support you?
The only person I shared it with was my girlfriend and she was a great support!


What were some of the challenges that you experienced on your weight loss journey?
Sticking with it!!!!


If you have dieted in the past and regained the weight, what did you do differently this time?
That is my work-in-progress.


In what ways has your life changed?
I have gotten older and it is much harder than it used to be.


What are some moments-accomplishments that you are most proud of?
My proudest moment or accomplishment was running (or jogging) The Army 10-miler.


What are your ultimate "must haves"///favorites: foods, fitness routines, music and training gear?
Wow, that is a doozie. I feel like there is SO much that I can’t live without – which is pretty silly when you really think of it. I love lots of foods (salmon, chicken, asparagus, nachos, pizza, Mexican food, Italian food, quinoa, zucchini, and so much more), as far as fitness routines, I am not really sure, I like variation to keep my interest – but I need structure to keep me on track, I love working out & dancing around to different music – so my ipod is a MUST, fitness gear – I can’t live without my Garmin.


Eating a balanced diet and exercise go hand in hand for permanent weight loss. What do you do for fitness-to stay in shape?
I sporadically run, ride my bike, do exercise videos, I would like to go hiking more, but my husband recently had foot surgery and is unable to do that quite yet and I am not comfortable going out alone.


What motivates you to stick with your healthy lifestyle? WHEN I do it ‘regularly’, I feel great and want to stick with it, but once I get lazy and say I will do it tomorrow – well, it never seems to come.


Do you have any positive quotes you'd like to share?
The body can achieve what the mind believes (have no clue where I got that from but I love it).


What words of advice can you give to someone who is struggling to lose weight and exercise?
Don’t give up on yourself – I am working on that too.


What are your best life lessons and the keys to your success?
 I don’t feel like I am a success… YET, but I want to be!


And lastly, do you have any short term (3 months or less) and long term goals?
Just to stick with SOMEthing.
______________________________________
Rosie's Note:  I firmly believe that Michele's story will have a tremendous impact and will be appreciated by many readers because so many people struggle with sticking to a workout and have a stubborn 5-10 pounds that are hard  for them to lose.  Michele and I recently caught a "glimpse" of each other at a local race two weeks ago and she's also finished another race this past weekend.  Michele, you are a SUCCESS and a total bad a!% girl.  Keep the faith and continue to run/race happy, RR


No comments:

Post a Comment