Monday, April 30, 2012

Health Hero Profile: The Incredible Shrinking Lisa... Lisa Czerniejewski

HEALTH HERO PROFILE 4.30.12 (is a profile of an individual who has successfully overcome his or her health and fitness challenges or is actively transitioning into a healthier and active lifestyle).


What is your age and where are you from? 
Lisa Czerniejewski I’m 44 and originally from Milwaukee, WI but have lived in Washington State since mid 1993

What was your beginning weight?
423 was highest in 2009

What is your current weight and how long have you maintained it?
340 and still losing. I have changed the way I use food. Food used to be my best friend. It comforted me in times of sadness and loneliness and helped me celebrate my joys and accomplishments. Now I view food as nourishment and not a “drug” to medicate my feelings with.
What made you want to lose weight and exercise; was there something specific that happened or was it a combination of things?  
I made a complete change in my life…I met someone who for the first time in my life accepted me exactly as I was…broken on the inside…he helped me see that I am worth so much more…I realized the life I could have if I took the steps to ensure a long life was far beyond anything I imagined.
What diets, supplements, and fitness programs have you tried in the past?
I tried Weight Watchers unsuccessfully.
How'd you lose your weight?
I stopped using food to medicate my feelings.
Did you share your plans with other people? How did your family, friends and co-workers influence and support you?
People started noticing a change in my appearance and my energy level. It was hard for me to see at the time because I attributed the change to new found love….but once I saw none of my clothes fitting anymore I had to acknowledge that something profound was happening.
What were some of the challenges that you experienced on your weight loss journey?
More energy, change in the way my clothes fit and feelings of happiness I had not experienced before.
If you have dieted in the past and regained the weight, what did you do differently this time?  In what ways has your life changed?
 I don’t fear social situations anymore. I used to be fearful about being the largest person at an event and would often forego attending out of embarrassment. I would survey a room and seek out the sturdiest chair available and even then I may not actually use it for fear it would collapse. I look forward to long walks…I guess I should say I am actually able to take long walks now. I don’t have anxiety attacks when I have to buy clothes. I can go into a store and buy things and not get depressed because nothing fits….lots of things fit now.
What are some moments-accomplishments that you are most proud of?
On September 11, 2011 I walked and finished my first 5k walk ever….Iron Girl Seattle. Receiving that medal at the end of the race blew me away.
What are your ultimate "must haves"///favorites: foods, fitness routines, music and training gear?
I must have quinoa salad prepared in my fridge. Full of protein and fiber…it is nearly guilt free and satisfying. It eliminates my desire to fill up on other things that would derail my efforts. Good walking shoes…I am up to 5 pairs I rotate and  I ‘m sure if I saw a pair that caught my eye I would buy them too….perhaps I have an addiction brewing….
Eating a balanced diet and exercise go hand in hand for permanent weight loss. What do you do for fitness-to stay in shape?
 Hot yoga water aerobics and walking.

What motivates you to stick with your healthy lifestyle?
I have to honest I am a HORRIBLE self motivator. My boyfriend is a triathlete and I tag along with him and do what I can at my pace while he does his stuff at his pace. I have a group of friends who help me remain accountable for my exercise too.

Do you have any positive quotes you'd like to share?
 "It's wrong to believe that you need a certain physical body type to run. All body types can run. The people who succeed are not the ones who have the longest legs or the leanest torsos. The champions are the one who understand how to harness the power of the brain. Determination. Discipline. Organization. Time management. Friendship-making. These skills are what it takes to succeed in running. You have to want it, you have to plan for it, you have to fit it into a busy day, you have to be mentally tough, you have to use others to help you. The hard part isn't getting your body in shape. The hard part is getting your mind in shape." -Amby Burfoot
Even though running is not my goal I find the message of harnessing the power of your  mind extremely powerful.

What words of advice can you give to someone who is struggling to lose weight and exercise?
Don’t view it as an attempt at “losing” weight see it as a whole new life you are “gaining”

What are your best life lessons and the keys to your success?
Talk about your fears, anxieties and doubts….find a few good supportive friends….blog about your thoughts and challenges it really makes a difference.
And lastly, do you have any short term (3 months or less) and long term goals?
Walk 50 miles by 7/8/12
_____________________________________________________________

Rosie's Note:  Lisa is a bright, funny and articulate person and has a rich story that will truly inspire anyone.  Lisa, keep enlisting community support and continue to believe in yourself.  I know that you can accomplish the realistic goals that you have outlined.  Good supportive walking shoes are a terrific "addiction" to have. Keep the faith, we're rooting for you and be sure to stay in touch, RR.

No comments:

Post a Comment