Monday, June 4, 2012

Health Hero Profile 6.4.12........I Used to be Fat~Eric Hanson

What is your age and where are you from?
I was born December 22nd. 1970. At the time of writing, I am 41 years young.


What was your beginning weight?
During the holiday season of 2009, I topped out above 350 pounds.


What is your current weight and how long have you

maintained it?
My current weight ranges between 198 and 204. I reached 205 in just one year of dieting. I have maintained a weight in the previously mentioned range now for 16 months.


What made you want to lose weight and exercise; was

there something specific that happened or was it a


combination of things?
I had been a big guy my entire life. Generally I was ok with it, as most of my life was spent in the regular overweight range (for me, 240-275). Unfortunately things began to get out of hand in my mid 30's. The wake-up call for me was a physical I had at age 39. My bathroom scale had long since stopped reporting my weight , it only went to 325. I knew I was fat, but I didn't know how fat. When the scale tipped at 350, I was dumbfounded. My doctor explained that at that weight, I was a ticking time bomb. I don't think my doctor thought I was taking the problem seriously, later he would angrily tell me that though my measurable numbers (cholesterol, etc) were not that out of line, my 40’s would be a decade of sharply declining health and that in all likelihood if I kept a weight at 350 or higher, I would not see 60.
I was looking at turning 40, and I knew he was right. My clock was ticking. I had seen my best days.
Over the next couple of months, I couldn't get it out of my head. I had to lose weight, or I was going to die far too young.
Depressed after the obscene amount of eating I had done over the Christmas holiday and learning that I had continued to gain weight , I was now 356. I decided to give download the app -Lose it-and give it a try.


What diets, supplements, and fitness programs have you

tried in the past?
Starvation, Atkins, exercise overkill, fads- none worked long term.


How'd you lose your weight?
I lost my weight by calorie counting. I used an iPhone application called Lose It.  I still use it every day.


Did you share your plans with other people? How did

your family, friends and co-workers influence and

support you?
Not at first. For the first several months I kept my diet close and personal. Only my wife knew and was good enough to not make a big deal out of it. Like most heavy people, I had started down the diet path MANY times and had quit every time. Most of the time long before I had lost any amount of weight whatsoever. After I had managed to stay on the diet for about four months, and people began to notice, I knew I could do it and began to open up a bit about my journey, but still kept it a relatively personal journey.  My wife supported me by allowing me to begin changing the food we had in the house and the way we ate. This was a critical piece. I'm not sure I could have done it if we had kept all the same junk food in the house.


 





What were some of the challenges that you experienced


on your weight loss journey?
Hunger! At first when you transition from eating 7,000-10,000 calories a day to 3,500ish, it's a shock! It got worse too, with each pound I lost, the amount I could eat each day went down! It was also hard learning how to eat.



If you have dieted in the past and regained the

weight, what did you do differently this time?
I had lost weight many times before. The most notable was getting down to about 240 on Atkins. The MOMENT I stopped eating that crazy way, the weight FLEW back on! WORSE, I gained even more!
This time, I focused on a very important word - sustainability.  I knew if I was going to lose weight and keep it off, I had to make choices and do things that I was SURE I could do forever. When I started, I didn't know if I could give up fast food, so I continued to eat it , but it had to fit into my caloric budget.  I didn't think I could give up the occasional beer, so at first I didn't. But again it had to fit. I took my changes gradually, and ate what I wanted as long as it fit in my budget. I wouldn't commit to any new exclusions or big changes unless I knew I could live with it.
Eventually, I learned that I could live without fast food (except Subway, can't live without it!), that I could live without beer (today I don't drink a drop of any kind of alcohol and I don't miss it). Eventually I learned to LOVE fruits and vegetables and now I crave healthy food.
I don't eat the perfect diet. I'm still too high on sodium, my foods are often too processed, and I consume more artificial sweetener than anyone ought to. I have left almost every vice in my life behind, diet pop and artificial sweetener will be next.  It will be tough, but I will get it done. Right now though, I'm not ready. It wouldn't be sustainable yet. I haven't taught myself to drink only water, and plain tea, and coffee yet. I will.


In what ways has your life changed?
I don't think you can understand unless you've been through it. Until age 39, my life had revolved around food. I wasn't eating out of pain or emotional duress, I was just a pig. I laughed at being fat, it didn't THINK it bothered me. But at 350 pounds that was changing. I suddenly found that I couldn't see my shoes when I looked down from a standing position. In order to tie my shoes, I had to exhale and have my foot propped on something. I had let myself grow out of clothing that could be purchased from a regular store. Size 46 (or higher) pants are just not something you pick up at a boutique. I started to have problems with my feet (plantar fasciitis), and my doctor was giving me dire warnings for my morbid obesity. Age and increasing obesity don't go well together. I could literally feel my health slipping away.
Now, I can even begin to tell you how much better life is. I am 41, but feel 25, maybe younger. No kidding. . I have almost unlimited energy, I am healthy  in a good way!
I have become addicted to running and I am more driven than ever to keep the weight off. I am planning on a retirement full of activity and good health.  In twenty years, I fully expect to feel great and be loving my active life.
I do things for fun now that would have killed me two years ago. Chores and yard work that once left me exhausted now take almost no effort to complete in half the time.
My life has changed and I can't even begin to describe how it feels!


What are some moments-accomplishments that you are

most proud of?
Losing 150+ pounds, and keeping it off. Becoming a runner, and maybe the best of all - though I don't overtly try to do so, I have inspired others to lose weight and get healthy too.


What are your ultimate "must haves"///favorites: foods,

fitness routines, music and training gear?
My iPhone and Lose it. I still log my foods EVERY DAY!
Food: Subway! Fruit, especially apples (I eat up to four a day), healthy cereal/granola bars
Exercise gear: Under Armour (especially Cold Gear). If you think you won't wear stretchy clothes when you get thin , I promise you that you are wrong. You will.
Fitness routines: RACING! I love to run and races keep me in it and motivated.


Eating a balanced diet and exercise go hand in hand for



permanent weight loss. What do you do for fitness-to


stay in shape?
RUN! I now proudly call myself a runner. I have run well over 1000 miles this year and have completed 15 half marathons so far (including the Sporty Diva Half of course!), and will complete 20-25 half marathons in 365 days. (see my running website for more info)


What motivates you to stick with your healthy lifestyle?
Being thin and fit! I had no idea how it felt to be thin and fit. It is GREAT! I can't even begin to tell you how worth all of the work it is to get here. I have NEVER been happier! If you are just starting down your path, I promise you, you can't begin to imagine how worth the pain and discomfort it all is!
This may cost me a few macho points, but looking good in clothes is huge! I had NEVER liked what I saw in a mirror. I do now! I actually love to shop and buy clothes. After a lifetime of frustration associated with shopping, suddenly, everything fits. Seriously, I don't think there is much I can't wear and I really dig that!


Do you have any positive quotes you'd like to share?
I like being thin more than I like ________. (cake, cookies, whatever). I remind myself of this fact a lot when temptation arises.


What words of advice can you give to someone who is

struggling to lose weight and exercise?
I have written lots on the topic. See my websites
But here's a few: Be honest with yourself. Don't look for excuses.  As soon as you can admit to the fact that 99% of people are fat because they eat too much..... waaaay too much, then you are ready to lose weight.
Understand this: it IS as simple as people say. Weight loss is very simple.   It's all about calories in and calories out.
Believe that it will be worth it. It is.


What are your best life lessons and the keys to your

success?
Life lesson: It's never too late. Even after a lifetime of obesity and failed attempts, it can be done.
Keys to my success: Routine, honesty, drive

And lastly, do you have any short term (3 months or less) and long term goals?
Run faster and farther. Become even more fit! Finish a marathon!

Click on and read more about Eric's story and success:

https://sites.google.com/site/ericsfavoritehobbies/home/150pounds

________________________________________________________

Rosie's Note: 

I received Eric's profile in April and he's accomplished his short term goal already! 
On May 28th here's what he wrote about his first full marathon:

First Call Spring Half that morning. Finished with a time of 1:43:01. Drove to Marysville and started running with the 1 mile fun run group but kept going. Did laps around the campus totaling 7 miles. The 45 minute break in between was not a help... I was pretty tight and sore before I began, but settled into a nice an easy 9 ish min mile pace. The treadmill was delivered and I had to stop running and transfer inside. After 15 minutes or more of waiting the tightness and soreness were back ... Worse than ever. By the time I started the last 10k, I was feeling it. Though that last part was a struggle, I finished. As soon as I was done my attitude magically improved, and I remembered why I had done it - for my school, for the kids. Totally worth it!

We were raising money in order to provide a charitable fund for some of our families that have the greatest need as we move to become an iPad school. We have applied for grants that will hopefully provide the infrastructure, and special 0% financing will provide families the mechanism for ownership. It's a huge undertaking, but we are all-in! We have put hundreds of hours into research and planning to make this work. We believe that this will be a paradigm shift on learning and it's impact will be profoundly positive on student achievement.

http://www.10thstreetboosters.org/10th_Street_Boosters/Hansons_Run.html

Eric, congratulations on accomplishing your first marathon!! Thank you for being a wonderful role model to the students at 10th Street Middle School and your local community.  Your personal comittment to your health and running is astonishing and impressive.   You are a powerhouse!    Stay in touch and let us know how we can help you with the fundraising efforts for your school's  technology program, RR


____________________________________________________________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. I just LOVE reading this blog. It reminds me of why it is worth it, even when you have to start all over again:( Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete