Monday, May 14, 2012

Health Hero Profile 5.14.12..... From Eat, Eat, Eat to Elite and Petite ~Lisa Wrobel

What is your age and where are you from?
45 years old. Born in August of 1966. Live in Apache Junction, Arizona. Spent most of my life in the mountains of Southern California.

What was your beginning weight?

My known beginning weight was 340. I have a feeling I had been higher than that, but I rarely got on the scale, basically because I didn’t have one that would read that high and I was never sick so I wasn’t going to the doctor.


What is your current weight and how long have you maintained it?

My current weight is 140. I had gotten as low as 132, but my current trainer determined that I was not eating enough for how I was working out, so we changed my nutrition plan. When my weight went up to the 140’s he had to convince me that apparently that weight is where I needed to be for the level I was performing at in the gym. I have been at this weight since February of 2011.

What made you want to lose weight and exercise; was there something specific that happened or was it a combination of things?
On Christmas Eve of 2007, I was told I had uterine cancer. On Jan. 2, 2008, I saw an gynecologic oncologist who told me that he recommended having a total hysterectomy, but he didn’t want to perform the surgery if he didn’t have to because of the risks involved with my weight. He tried hormone therapy first, hoping to bring the condition back to hyperplasia. It didn’t work. I had decided that if surgery was going to get the cancer out of my body, I was going to do whatever I needed to to have that surgery. That meant losing weight. I had the surgery after I had dropped 60 pounds. I am happy to say that I have been cancer-free for four years.



What diets, supplements, and fitness programs have you tried in the past?



When I was younger, I tried the Weight Watchers program, but never attended the meetings. I also tried Richard Simmons’ Deal-a-Meal plan and some other program I saw on television that based what you eat on your body shape. They worked for a while, then I lost interest.


How'd you lose your weight?
I have an apparent addiction to chocolate, so the first thing I did was make a New Year's resolution to not eat chocolate. I went four years without having any :)I also started by cutting back on fat and calories, cut my meal portions, stopped eating out and I started walking, walking, walking…every day. I read Dr. Oz’s book “You On A Diet,“ which gave me a good foundation of nutritional knowledge and the motivation to get out and walk every day. Once my fitness level rose a little, I joined Curves. When I had lost 110 pounds, I hit a plateau and found that I had maxed out at Curves, so I joined a full-service gym. It was there where I was approached by a personal trainer…one awesome human being…who shook up my nutrition plan (five meals instead of three, paying more attention to carb/protein combinations and amounts). Once the weight started coming off again, I started taking the boot camp classes at the gym. That is when my fitness level really took off. I then started running.

Did you share your plans with other people? How did your family, friends and co-workers influence and support you?


Absolutely!! I let everybody know. And everybody was awesome! Co-workers who used to eat out every day at lunch, stopped asking me to join them. My supervisor started bringing healthy food to our staff meetings. My friends would join me at the gym. My family was very supportive as well. At the time my sister, my mother and I all lived together and we would alternated preparing dinner for each other during the week. They changed up what they would cook to something they knew I could have. Family visiting from out of town would either go out and get their food and allow me to each my health stuff that I prepared at home without making me feel guilty or they would ask, “where can you get something to eat from” and we would go there. Church members also checked in with me and cheered me along the way. And my trainers (my Godsends) took more of an interest in me than was professionally expected of them.


What were some of the challenges that you experienced on your weight loss journey?

Once I started, I really didn’t have any challenges until I hit 110 pounds lost. The weight was coming off fairly easily and I was excited by the way I felt physically. But then I hit my plateau, one that ended up lasting eight months. It would have been easy to give up at that point, but you know what? Giving up never entered my mind. My support system wouldn’t have let me anyway!


If you have dieted in the past and regained the weight, what did you do differently this time?
In the past, when I dieted, I was not ready to make a change for the rest of my life. I loved to eat. I wanted to be able to eat what everybody else was eating. It made me feel isolated. It was hard work. And, I don’t think anybody took me seriously. And, I didn’t have the kind of support I did this time.
This time, I went into it with a different goal. My goal in the past had been to lose “X amount” of weight. When I didn’t reach that goal, I became discouraged and so the next time I dieted, in the back of my mind, I didn’t really think I could do it. This time I didn’t set a number goal. My goal was to drop enough weight to have a safe surgery. Once I had the surgery, I realized that I felt good about what I was doing and I wanted to keep that feeling going. Since I was being successful at losing the weight and I was able to do more things, it motivated me to keep going.
Along the way, I kept telling myself that I would be happy if I could get to 250 pounds (a 90-pound drop). When I got there it was that I would be happy if I could just see the 100’s again. Then it was wearing an XL shirt instead of a 4x. The more successful I was, the more I wanted. I never dreamed I would ever get to this weight. I now weigh less that I did when I graduated from high school, where I was an athlete.
Finally, my support system would not have let me quit! And I didn’t want to let them down. It was almost like people started feeling like my success was their success. The trainers that I worked with at the gym, including those that taught the boot camp, had my back. They went above and beyond what was expected. Several are now among my best friends and are still there for me mentally and emotionally, even though they have no financial obligation. A good support system is critical!!!

In what ways has your life changed?
I am much more confident in myself, which led to me going for and receiving a better position at my work. I am looked up to by others (even though I am only 5’0” tall). I no longer sit on the sidelines, I am the one friends and family go to watch compete. I am enjoying life!


What are some moments-accomplishments that you are most proud of?
Oddly, one of my proudest moments was the day that I finally believed in myself enough to do a single box jump. I had to convince my mind that I could leave the ground with both feet and land on a platform. Once I did that, there was not stopping me!
I have competed in several obstacle course 5-10K’s, which included overcoming some fears (being in a tunnel underground). I live for those obstacle courses now.
But probably my greatest accomplishment was running miles 11-13.1 of a half marathon. I ran the rest of it too, but once I hit mile 11 all I wanted to do was stop and sit down. It was no longer fun. But, I was not going to give up! This was a moment where I had to dig deep and find an inner strength. I don’t enjoy running long distances. And while others kept telling me that it would be okay to walk during the race if I needed to, it wasn’t okay with me. My goal was to RUN ever step of that race, and I did! I am proud of myself because I trained myself for that race. I was the one responsible for lacing up my shoes and getting out there and training. There was nobody to account to. I had to motivate myself and make myself believe that I could do it. It was HARD! There were many times while I was running during training that I questioned why I was doing it. My legs were tired, the arthritis in my knee hurt, and like I said, I don’t really enjoy running. It is a very lonely sport. Well, at least training for races is lonely. But, I overcame all of that negativity and did it.



What are your ultimate "must haves"///favorites: foods, fitness routines, music and training gear?
My only must have is related to my fitness routine itself. I still have a personal trainer, Andrew at Alpha Elite Training, and I won't give him up. But, more than needing him to push me physically, which he does a heck of a job of, I lean on him for the mental and emotional support I often need as a result of being a different person now. That mental and emotional support is a critical component to weight loss.
Eating a balanced diet and exercise go hand in hand for permanent weight loss. What do you do for fitness-to stay in shape?
I attend a boot camp at a trainer’s apartment complex three times a week. I attend personal training sessions at least once a week. I run once or twice a week. I bike, hike, swim, occasionally do yoga, and anything else to keep me moving. I live to exercise now.

What motivates you to stick with your healthy lifestyle?
I love my life now. I missed out on so many opportunities as a result of my weight. I wouldn’t go back to the other lifestyle for anything.

Do you have any positive quotes you'd like to share?
“Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure.”  ~Don Wilder and Bill Rechin
“Nothing is impossible. The word itself says 'I'm possible'!” ~Audrey Hepburn
What words of advice can you give to someone who is struggling to lose weight and exercise?
You have to believe that you are worth it! You have to believe that you are worth any sacrifice you make in order to gain control of your life. Find an activity you enjoy and do it. And, don’t get caught up in the numbers on the scale. Do not get into the habit of weighing yourself all the time. Scale addiction can be an ugly thing and it can definitely cause doubt and discouragement. The numbers on the scale are just that, numbers. They don’t define you. Instead, judge how you are doing by your increased fitness level, your shrinking measurements, how you feel, etc.

What are your best life lessons and the keys to your success?
Stay positive! Stay focused! Stay Motivated! Believe in yourself! Surround yourself with positive people!



And lastly, do you have any short term (3 months or less) and long term goals?
Short-term goals: do my first pull up, learn to do double unders, take the exam to be a certified personal trainer, publish my book about my journey.
Long-term goals: hike the Grand Canyon rim to rim (after the heat of the summer), compete in a triathlon.
Check out www.theteamelite.com to find out more about Lisa's trainer and facility
______________________________________
Rosie's Note:  I loved reading Lisa's profile because I kept thinking "you go girl".  Lisa is a magnificent example of someone who didn't let her life circumstances get in her way and used them to get back on track and is now living a healthy life.  She is a victorious cancer survivor with a new lease on life.  Lisa, you are a force to be reckoned with girlfriend, way to go on having community support and a trainer!!  Thank you for sharing your incredible story and I know that you will inspire folks who read it!  Be well and keep us posted on your journey and adventures.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment