Saturday, August 25, 2012

Rosie's Next Athletic Quest


Success is often a goal that's been met and soon to be replaced with another new goal.

There is an emotional payoff to physical fitness and running marathons will always be at the top of my list of things that I’ve gotta do to stay vibrant, active and healthy.

But I have a thirst……a sense of urgency for something more and I’ve spent the last couple of months wondering what my next “ athletic goal/adventure” will be. 

In exactly seven days I will be running and completing my personal 50 mile race and I have decided to commit to amateur bodybuilding with a goal of competing in a show next summer. 


For the past ten years I have consistently lifted weights as a part of my training program and have wondered what it would be like to work a little harder to become leaner and stronger.

No, no, no, I don’t have any plans of becoming super thin and extra muscular.  I honestly think that life is to short to eat food that I don’t enjoy or doing workouts that are boring.  However, I feel empowered when I make choices that are new, exciting and challenging.

I will be spending the remaining eighteen weeks of 2012 revamping my current weight training routine and concentrate on becoming leaner (5-10 lbs.) and then work on scheduling a specific show for 2013.

Ladies, some of us may find it intimidating and foreign to enter the weight room, lift weights and begin a training program.  A couple of ways to get over your fear of working out with weights is: hire a trainer to show you how to use the weights correctly, and draft your own workout; read books about training with diagrams/explanations; watch You Tube videos that focus on training techniques for individual body parts.

It’s important to train with weights because lifting increases your lean muscle mass and metabolism and will help you to become stronger.  And muscles are oh so sexy!!

I want to continue to improve my body physically and inspire others along the way.  We were are all born to rock and not hide under a rock.  The world belongs to us and we have a responsibility to take care of ourselves and each other.

Let me know what you're doing with your gifts/talents to contribute to your community and the world to make it a better and healthier place.  I'd love to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment